THE ELM TREASON NEWSLETTER NUMBER 101
MAY 12, 2023
– All recording and mixing for our next studio album “WITHOUT A TRIBE” has officially been completed! FINALLY! The next step is mastering, then manufacturing of vinyl and CDs. The band is shooting for an official release date of July 9th – Bobby’s birthday. (That tentative release date is breaking news, by the way!)
– Artist Frank Kozik, who designed posters and other materials for Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Melvins, the Offspring and many others died at the age of 61.
– Dolly Parton has announced that her upcoming rock album, “Rockstar,” will arrive on Nov. 17. The album’s full list of guest contributors has also been confirmed: Sting, Steve Perry, Ann Wilson, Kevin Cronin, Michael McDonald, Debbie Harry, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Mick Fleetwood, Peter Frampton, and Elton John are among the collaborators on Parton’s first rock album.
– Chicago has announced more than 60 new U.S. tour dates. The trek is underway now and will last trough the fall. The tour will conclude in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on Nov. 11.
– Ringo Starr’s All Starr Band will hit the road this fall for a U.S. tour throughout September and October. The monthlong trek will begin on Sept. 17 in Ontario, California, and run through Oct. 13 in Thackerville, Oklahoma. The current band lineup features Steve Lukather, Colin Hay, Edgar Winter, Warren Ham, Hamish Stuart and Gregg Bissonette.
– Pop-Pink veterans Sum 41 announced their breakup after 27 years together.
– Kix singer Steve Whiteman announced that the band will play its final show in September.
You Say: Ask Us Anything!
A couple of times a year we open up the “YOU SAY” forum so you can ask us ANYTHING you like or leave a comment on anything that moves you.
Here’s your chance to get down to the Treason Nitty-Gritty. What would you like to know? What can we shed light on?
“What’s Bobby’s favorite seeded fruit?”
“When did Andy use his first battery powered toothbrush?”
“Hey, I dig your stuff, but why do you NOT do more polka-flavored material?”
“Will you guys be doing solo albums?”
“Does this shirt make me look fat?”
Whatever you like, we’re here to answer, clarify, testify…
Let it rip! Please HIT that comments section… hard!
Birthdays This Past Week
Some birthdays we did not mention on our Facebook page…
Toni Tennille of Captain and Tennille fame turned 83 on Monday
Turning 52 last Saturday was Chris Shiflett, lead guitarist for Foo Fighters
Happy 46th birthday to blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa (Monday)
Eric Burdon, lead singer for the Animals, had birthday 82 on Thursday
Ian McCulloch, frontman for Echo and the Bunnymen, celebrated his 64th birthday last Friday
Singer-songwriter Donovan had birthday number 77 on Wednesday
Guitarist Dave Mason of Traffic celebrated his 77th birthday on Wednesday
Bill Ward, drummer for Black Sabbath, had his 75th birthday last Friday
Singer songwriter Adele turned 35 last Friday
Double Your Pleasure
Some of our favorite double albums ever…
There are SO SO SO SO SO MANY! Do you own any of these?
– LONDON CALLING, The Clash (1979)
– ELECTRIC LADYLAND, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1968)
– BITCHES BREW, Miles Davis (1970)
– AT FILLMORE EAST, Allman Brothers Band (1971)
– PHYSICAL GRAFFITI, Led Zeppelin (1975)
– SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, Stevie Wonder (1976)
– THE WALL, Pink Floyd (1979)
– BLONDE ON BLONDE, Bob Dylan (1966)
– EXILE ON MAIN STREET, Rolling Stones (1972)
– QUADROPHENIA, The Who (1973)
– THE BEATLES, Beatles (1968)
– THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY, Genesis (1974)
Groovy Noodles Extra: From the Pen of Andy Roman
PHOTO OF THE WEEK
The boys in the band in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, Summer 2015
The word “OTTO” spelled backwards … and why not?
7 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
After completing a tour with Guns N’ Roses, Axl Rose takes over as lead singer for AC/DC, filling in for Brian Johnson at a show in Lisbon after Johnson is told that continuing the tour could result in permanent hearing loss.
8 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
In Tulsa, Oklahoma Rush begin their R40 Live tour, playing their newer songs first and working backward to “Working Man,” the song that launched them in America. It ends up being their last tour, as drummer Neil Peart develops brain cancer and dies in 2020.
16 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
Sammy Hagar sells an 80% stake in his Cabo Wabo tequila company to Gruppo Campari for $80 million.
18 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
Audioslave becomes the first US rock act to perform a free outdoor concert in Cuba when the group performs at La Tribuna in Havana.
30 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
The IRS confiscates personal property from Jerry Lee Lewis’ home in Mississippi and later auctions it off to help pay the $1.6 million he owes in back taxes.
37 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
Tommy Lee of Mötley Crüe marries actress Heather Locklear. They divorce seven years later.
39 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders marries Jim Kerr of Simple Minds.
51 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
In an effort to shed his teenybopper image, David Cassidy appears shirtless (and pantless) on the cover of Rolling Stone.
58 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
At a hotel in Clearwater, Florida, Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones can’t sleep because there’s a guitar riff running through his head. He rolls a tape, falls asleep and wakes up the next morning to find he’s recorded the riff to “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”
58 YEARS AGO THIS PAST WEEK
D.A. Pennebaker films Bob Dylan in one of the earliest music videos ever shot, the famous “flashcard” clip for “Subterranean Homesick Blues.”
They Got it Covered (mostly)
Some Truths are Self-Evident
It Took Us a Minute
We’ll Be Here All Week…
OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
If you haven’t done so already, and you are on FACEBOOK, why not consider joining our private FACEBOOK GROUP “The Uptown Q?”
It’s far more intimate than our “regular” Facebook page. It allows us to interact with you guys FAR MORE than we can on the regular page. Plus, you won’t miss our posts that get lost in the all-powerful algorithm of Facebook.
We will be posting more behind-the-scenes band stuff, exclusive previews, performances available nowhere else… plus all the stuff that people dig about our regular page.
If you join, grab a free WELCOME PACK… and don’t forget to watch the introductory video at the top of the page.
Hit this link:
Missed an issue?
Want to relive a glorious memory?
Our “Groovy Noodles” newsletter archive is here